Since 1982, personal injury attorney Robert H. Hanaford has represented clients in state and federal courts. He concentrates his practice on lawsuits involving death and serious injury resulting from auto, transportation, construction, workplace and product accidents in Illinois and Wisconsin.
Mr. Hanaford is an effective trial lawyer with a long record of success, having won tens of millions of dollars for his clients. He has been lead counsel on numerous high-profile cases, including several construction and transportation accidents that have gained national attention.Leadership and Legal Knowledge
A well-known legal authority, Mr. Hanaford also writes, edits and speaks on topics related to injury law. He is also known for teaching other lawyers and law enforcement officers in various settings. Mr. Hanaford has received numerous awards and leadership appointments for his work, including board of governors and state bar association awards and the following distinctions:
- Panel attorney for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Legal counsel to the Chicago Executive Airports Pilots Association
- Appointed by Governor Jim Edgar to the Illinois Workers' Compensation Review Board, 1993 to present
- Chairman of the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) Civil Practice & Procedure Council (2004-2005)
- Co-editor of the ISBA Trial Brief newsletter and the ISBA Insurance Policy newsletter
- Co-editor of The Policy, the ISBA insurance newsletter
- Co-author of the Illinois Trial Lawyers' Association Medical Malpractice Trial Handbook.
- Two terms on the Board of Trustees for the Village of Fox River Grove (1989-1995) and Chairman of the Public Health and Safety Committee
- Member of the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) Judicial Evaluation Committee
Robert Hanaford was co-lead plaintiff counsel in the Fox River Grove train and bus crash lawsuit stemming from an October 25, 1995 collision between a Chicago Metra commuter train and a high school bus that resulted in the deaths of seven students. The case settled after eight years for a record $28.3 million. Mr. Hanaford has successfully handled other complex cases, including the 1979 Rosemont Horizon roof collapse, the crash of a Hallmark Jewelry airplane and a lawsuit against Commonwealth Edison for the death of a commercial diver at its Marseilles Nuclear Power Plant.
Contact us to learn more.